I recently completed my PhD at the University of Manchester. The thesis is titled “A social network analysis approach to examining gendered character positions in popular film narratives”. For more info and to take a look at the notebooks, check out the project repository. The data can be found in the movienetData package.
I am currently working on the EmpoderaData project which is exploring data fellowships as a platform for building data literacy skills in Latin America in the context of sustainable development.
Jones, Pete, Eithne Quinn and Johan Koskinen. 2020. “Measuring centrality in film narratives using dynamic character interaction networks.” Social Networks 63: 21-37. DOI: 10.1016/j.socnet.2020.03.003.
Jones, Pete. 2018. “Diana in the World of Men: a character network approach to analysing gendered vocal representation in Wonder Woman.” Feminist Media Studies, DOI: 10.1080/14680777.2018.1510846.
- Hollywood cinema
- Feminist media studies
- Social network analysis
- Digital humanities
- Superhero media
- Creative industries inequalities
I am a member of the following groups and organisations:
- The Mitchell Centre for Social Network Analysis (website)
- Cathie Marsh Institute for Social Research (CMI)
- International Network of Social Network Analysts (INSNA)
- Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA)
- British Sociological Association (BSA)
- British Association for American Studies (BAAS)